The biggest stars of INFUSION19 were the machines! Guests who came to Tulsa for three days of peace, love and fusion had the opportunity to touch, see and interact with an even greater variety of polyethylene and polypropylene products at the Product Showcase this year. Attendees couldn’t resist standing inside the jaws of the Talon™ 2000 for a souvenir photo.
Here are some of the highlights from the show:
DATALOGGER® VAULT™ AND DATALOGGER 6
The DataLogger has evolved considerably since its debut in 1996. Taking into account the evolving environment of accountability within our infrastructure markets, we have made a significant investment in the DataLogger 6 platform.
It incorporates a state-of-the art rugged Android-powered tablet and user-friendly touchscreen with onscreen instructions for each step of the fusion process. The Vault complements the DataLogger with a secure platform to collect, store, analyze and share comprehensive fusion jobsite information. It allows a deeper review of fusion joints anywhere you have access to the internet. Sign up today for a free Vault account.
- Captures ambient weather conditions
- Records manual fusion
- Zooms on multiple FusionGuide™ graphs of the shift sequence
- Customizes download file name
- Operator manuals available
- Operational video available
- Exception reporting in the Vault
If you have not done so recently, please power on your DataLogger so that any new software can be automatically downloaded.
The In-Ditch 1600 brings butt fusion capability to jobs fusing large-diameter pipe, fitting and flanges in very tight work spaces. It was designed as an ideal machine for tie-in fusions and a cost-effective alternative to electrofusion, which requires the purchase of additional fittings.
The In-Ditch 1600 features a compact, two-jaw carriage with a top-loading heater and facer for greater flexibility in confining areas. The carriage has the same 30,000 pounds of clamping force per jaw as the MegaMc® 1600 for improved gripping and re-rounding of pipe. With a 3,000 psi maximum pressure range, the In-Ditch 1600 can fuse onto 15″ of exposed pipe, providing maximum versatility in close quarters with minimal excavation required.
Ease of mobility is built into the machine with multiple lifting points, a carriage spreader bar and skidded carriage, all designed to fit within a small envelope. Roll bars protect the carriage and hydraulic components as the machine is eased into the ditch. Coming soon!
- Fusion Capability for 20″ OD to 65″ OD (508mm to 1600mm)
- 2-jaw, compact design allows minimal excavation
- Multiple lift points on carriage and top jaw expedites placement in ditch
- Fuses onto 15″ of exposed pipe, avoiding additional fittings
- Quick disconnects on clamp, pivot cylinders and tapered pivot pins provide easy removal of upper jaws
- Lifting points on heater and facer
- Roll cage protects carriage and hydraulics while loading in ditch
- 3000 psi system pressure
- Same clamping force per jaw as MegaMc 1600
- Skid-mounted heater/facer stand and HPU for ease mobility
- Fits on standard trailer
- DataLogger compatible
Rebuilt for the heat and renamed for better clarity, McElroy unveiled a new work horse — the EP1500 HPU for users of the DynaMc® and Acrobat™. The EP1500 HPU stands up to high temperatures and the demands of fusing pipe in the heat all day long. Its simplified construction is based on the proven Rolling 28 fusion machine design. Coming soon!
- Simplified construction developed from the Rolling 28
- Maintains same speed, lower displacement (perfect for use with electric facer)
- 30 to 1,500 psi regulated pressure
- O° to 120° F ambient operating temperature
- 4.5-gallon reservoir for increased heat dissipation
- Rolling cart design for easy maneuvering
- Integrated lifting eye
- Dual handles for easy two-man lift
- Remote manifold comes standard with 20’ pressure supply hoses; 6’ hoses between carriage and manifold
- Optional Accessory Cart
- 165 lbs.
Please note: The DynaMc HPU will be phased out, but we will continue to support replacement parts for five years.
What’s in a name? The new naming convention has been simplified and is no longer tied to the fusion machine name. It consists of three parts: type of power, maximum pressure and compatibility.
Power Max Pressure Compatibility
EP (Electric Pump) 1500 AD (Acrobat, DynaMc)
NEW HEATER HANDLES
Introducing the new and improved design of the handheld heater! The new handles are being deployed across all heaters except for 500 machines and larger. They employ proven automotive technology for increased reliability and diagnostics, and best of all, the price will not increase!
- Includes self-resetting smart switch instead of thermal fuse
- Improved assembly process, addition of automotive grade crimp/splice
- Greater detail on error codes for ease in troubleshooting
- Heat sink added to accommodate solid state switching
- Optimized weldments and retention within the handle
- Improved handle ergonomics and attachment points
Please note: Legacy service parts will be available for five years after the launch of the new handles. If you would like to switch to the new handle, contact your McElroy distributor.
POLYPROPYLENE HOT TAP TOOL — PRODUCTIVITY PACKAGE
The Polypropylene Hot Tap Tool allows for the installation of branches to a live main line by completely sealing the system, drilling through the saddle fitting and retaining the coupon — eliminating any disruption of service or shutdowns.
The Productivity Package includes the Hornet™ outlet fusion tool, Polypropylene Hot Tap Tool and load cell pressure adapter. Heater and heater adapters are sold separately.
- Designed for 32mm to 63mm (1” to 2”) polypropylene pipe
- Dimensions optimized for working in tight spaces
- Cutter designed for cutting through polypropylene pipe
- Fitting holder for Hornet makes pressure capture for sidewall fusion possible using the DataLogger and Vault
- No extra fusion required
- Can use with any full port valve
- Hand of drill-powered
- Quick setup
- Coupon and chip retention
- 165 psi maximum pressure
- Designed for easy maintenance
ACROBAT™ 355-630 WITH QUIKFIT™ CARRIAGE
The QuikFit™ carriage on the Acrobat 355mm to 630mm (14” to 24”) machines brings an innovative solution to the challenges of fusing large-diameter polypropylene pipe in close-quarter working environments. With a modular, lightweight jaw design, operators can fuse pipe in places that were nearly impossible with heavy, bulkier fusion equipment. By simplifying this process, the Acrobat with QuikFit carriage opens a new door for the plumbing, mechanical and HVAC industry.
- Modular, lightweight carriage and facer assemble around the pipe for optimal close-quarter fusion
- No tools required for assembly or conversion to 3- or 4-jaw unit
- No inserts necessary
- Core Package can be used with any Acrobat 355-630 Size Package
- Facer blade orientation allows shavings to fall inside or outside of the pipe
The Polygon is a three-in-one machine used to fabricate miter and butt fusion joints from zero- to 45-degree angles with additional socket fusion capability for polypropylene pipe. It is McElroy’s first manual butt fusion machine that is compatible with the DataLogger. The Polygon easily adapts to socket fusion by swapping out the jaws with an optional Spider™ 125 Series 2 Adapter Kit
- Miter and butt fusion for 63mm to 160mm (2” to 6”) and socket fusion for 63mm to 125mm (2” to 4”) polypropylene pipe and fittings
- Produces miter, butt and socket fusion joints
- Pivoting jaws for faster, easier setup and better alignment
- Easily removable outer jaws for tighter work spaces
- Quick open/close, non-back-drivable wheel drive for smooth jaw movement
- Side-positioned wheel drive for easier movement of the carriage
- Stable base allows for prefabrication and benchtop use
The Hornet XL is McElroy’s largest all-in-one tool for polypropylene outlet fusion. It brings the same innovative alternative to manual outlet fusion methods in larger outlet sizes up to 160mm and offers a cost-effective option over prefabrication. The Hornet XL’s patent-pending design allows it to self-align on the center of the pipe while a guided carriage facilitates the drilling of the outlet hole and fusion of the fitting.
- Polypropylene outlet fusion for branches sizes 63mm to 160mm on to main sizes 110 mm and larger
- Integrated chain clamp system allows operation across wide range of pipe sizes
- Rack and pinion drive for smooth operation
- Self-centering base design ensures fusion operations align on center of pipe
- Heater alignment guides for even melts
- Carriage brake locks in position
- Drive handle moves from side to side for extra clearance
The Talon 2000 brings a revolutionary new way to fuse large-diameter, thermoplastic pipe. This self-propelled vehicle has the unique ability to safely lift pipe from the ground, position it to be fused and move from joint to joint down the pipeline.
- Fusion capability for 54” OD to 78” OD (1,400mm to 2,000mm) pipe
- Self-loads pipe from the ground
- Self-contained, self-propelled
- Track-mounted for maneuverability
- Terrain following and pitch control to better align with pipe
- Electric-powered indexer accurately positions the top-loading heater and facer, no cranes necessary
- Efficient facer design removes up to 1” of pipe per side in under 8 minutes
- Built-in data logging feature records fusion joint data and syncs with the DataLogger Vault for storage and analysis